Sunday, August 28, 2011

Our Florida room transformation

Here are some before and afters of my favorite room in the house as it stands.  We tackled this room not long after we moved in, but just recently added new flooring to give it a completely finished look.

Here are the befores of this room:

The bricks on the back of the fire place were painted "brick red" and the mortar was painted white.  Just a bad combination of ugly.



The room is small and narrow so the red bricks were super overwhelming!

The first thing we did was prime over the painted brick on the fireplace.  The primer took several coats.

We then painted it with several coats of white eggshell paint, along with the rest of the room.  And unfortunately didn't take any pics as we were painting.  Here are some afters before the new flooring went down.











We lived with it like this for about 2 years then we redid the flooring.




And here are some of the final photos:
















The pendant light is from Pier 1.  I got it around 2 years ago, but it is one of the pieces that I feel makes the room.




I got the adirondack chairs from Craigs List, the day bed at a yard sale, the accessories at Home Goods or TJ Maxx, and the bamboo blinds at Big Lots.  I also have some local pottery that I got at the St Pete farmers market.  I love putting handmade items by local artists in our home b/c it makes things much more personalized.

Hope you enjoyed the pics!  I love spending the afternoon curled up on the day bed with a good book!  The room is always bright and sunny and I think that's why it is my favorite room in the house. 

Which brings me to my final question.  What's your favorite room in your home and why?  If you could make over any room in your home what would you do? 

2 comments:

  1. My favorite room in our house is our guest room! It is full of family heirlooms and particularly the ones from my late grandparents are the most special since they bring back strong sweet memories of them. It is nothing grand from a decor perspective, but it is full of good emotions and always makes me relax and smile when I am in there. I am about to re-do this room into a playroom/ready for a future child room, but right now it is my favorite place to retreat in our house- kind of like your sunroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS- I can't wait to see what you do with those chairs you found at a thrift store awhile back!

    ReplyDelete